Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Eff you, "Today!"

Ready to beat my head against a wall because my officemate talked nonstop for FOUR HOURS this morning, I was happy to have a reason to leave -- so I programmed Ferdinand and drove across town to the meeting site. Then I spent 40 minutes trying to find the damn conference room, eventually giving up and driving back to my site.

Then I was trying to prepare for my first ever meeting with one of the big director people, and could not focus because of the obnoxiously loud jibber jabber going on in my office.

I just decided, just now, that I am going to start blogging about this woman in my office. She is obnoxious. She makes loud, often emotional personal phone calls at work. There are 3 other people in our office, yet she lacks discretion of any kind. She is loud. I cannot function when she is in there.

Her nose whistles.

She sighs habitually.

She is stressful.

I have recently identified her as having a complex about needing others to notice that she works hard. There are several techniques she has perfected to communicate her hard work to the officemates.

If people aren't paying attention to her, she sighs more frequently and repeatedly picks up her mouse and sets it down, as if to say, "Do you all hear me fervidly mousing?" If people are holding a brief meeting in the office that doesn't involve her, she sits at her computer humming and muttering to herself. As if to say, "I'm not working with you but, please note, I am working."

At 5:00 pm, when the last of the hourly peeps have just about all gone home, she feels like it's okay to begin her customer service and/or personal phone calls. Last week she was having a heated argument with her ex-husband. Tonight she was fighting with the cable company.

She sits about 8 ft. away from me.

So anyway, I finally leave work after all this bullshit today to volunteer at this big event they were having in town, only to show up and learn that they were finished with the job I volunteered to do.

So I drove back to work. I don't know why I went back to work. I just did.

And I went to put my bag in my trunk and noticed that a bottle of power steering fluid had erupted, most likely due to the heat, and saturated the carpeting in my trunk with flammable gunk which is probably impossible to clean off.

I'm done.

3 comments:

RanaElizabeth said...

Strange, I had totally thought that blogging about annoying co-workers was the rule, not the exception. Seriously, Darling Bean, it totally helps to vent on here about them. Just don't divulge company secrets or anything.

Oh, and what the hell's wrong with you? Why did you GO BACK to work?

Anonymous said...

I clicked my way here from Rana's blog, and I am compelled to praise your self-restraint. If I had a co-worker like that, we would not be co-workers for long.

Anonymous said...

I think you can clean the power steering fluid up with anything that contains citrus terpenes. That is, you know all those orange cleaners? I recommend Zep's Orange citrus cleaner. You can find it at Home Depot.

That stuff and a good scrub brush might be the trick.