Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bejing and the Olympics

I caught the tail end of the story on NBC news tonight about the image that the Chinese government is trying to portray during the Olympics this year. But I heard the dress code:

No pajamas

No white socks with black shoes

And no more than 3 colors at the same time.

What the hell?!

And then they showed hundreds of very young Chinese girls learning how to smile perfectly so they can be "pleasing servants" for Olympic visitors. Yeah... now that's going to portray the right image to Westerners.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya know, I decided a while ago that I'm not watching any of the Olympics this year. Sure, it won't make a difference, but I don't want to be a part of it. I think it's disgusting that the Olympics are being held there to begin with. The delusion that China would start behaving itself the way South Korea did in 1988 and thus have the Olympics reform the wrongs...yeah, that's a delusion.

If we're going to support the Olympics in China, why not have them in Indonesia next time. Or better yet, Burma. Maybe we could did up Pol Pot in Cambodia, create some synthetic snow, and relive the good old days of his regime. It's disgusting.

Can you tell I feel strongly?

Anonymous said...

by the way, it should have been "dig up Pol Pot"