Thursday, October 23, 2008

Great Music... and Idiots

Sometimes I get my paws on a new album, one that I devour, one that encapsulates my soul, one that I can't stop listening to, on my laptop, in my car, in my office, on the walk from one building to another. I take 10 minutes to burn something to a CD or put onto my mp3 player because I just can't bear tearing myself away from the sound for a couple minutes. One that I lose a full night of sleep, lying in bed and clicking repeat every time it finishes. And I get up in the morning, fully aware that I haven't slept, but what keeps me going is that I know I can keep listening to this music in the car on the way to work, and while at work between meetings and while I'm eating lunch at my desk and on the drive home from work... And the lyrics are deep and incredibly moving, and the melody is new, and the music is hushed and downplayed, and it just begs for someone else who loves it as much as I do to have a listen, so that we can talk about it.

No one I work with gives a shit about music.

I told an officemate today that I heard some new music I loved. He asked me if it was off Britney's new album. No, it wasn't. He wanted to hear it anyway.

I let him have a listen to one of the songs.

"This seems like the type of thing you have to be in the mood for. But it sounds very relaxing."

I deeply regret letting an ignorant uncultured fuck listen to and comment on my music.

3 comments:

Blondie said...

You have piqued my curiousity, what album is it? I love finding new music to devour.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mole Day!!!

RanaElizabeth said...

Oh, sad, I know what a Mole is. Dammit, Miss Zerby, get out of my head.

Also, I want to know what the music is!