Monday, May 5, 2008

Goings-on at Hyde Park Hallmark

I was looking at the poor selection of Mother's Day cards after the gym, not able to get as weepy as I would've liked because I left my tissues in the car. Anyway, a woman stepped closer to me and bent down to reach for a card when, what I thought was a coat draped over her right arm, licked me. I didn't know dogs were allowed in stores. I guess there's a fine line these days between "pet" and "accessory."

Next, a 60-something-year-old couple moved closer, and the snooty-looking woman pointed to a card she was holding, showing her husband, "Well that's a very German spelling of 'daughter' - it's d-a-u-G-H-t-e-r." Her husband pointed to another card and said, "They spell it like that here, too. I think that's how you spell daughter."

1 comment:

RanaElizabeth said...

I wonder how daughter is spelled in their world. Dawter, maybe?

Eavesdropping is God's reason for making ears.