Thursday, May 15, 2008

Vancouver?

The invitation came in the mail today. "Colleen and Guest." I admit, I had doubts I'd actually be invited, even after the "Save the Date" arrived toward the end of last summer. Now, he is a great friend of mine, who I haven't seen in God knows how many years. We interned together 3 different semesters/summers and he's one of my favorite people in the world. I even took a weekend road trip with John to see him in Memphis in 2005. I guess that answers my question - I haven't seen him in 3 years. His fiance, who I assume is planning this whole shindig whilst simultaneously preparing for her research proposal at Vanderbilt, overlapped internships with me for a brief stint at good ol' DuPont. I think she's lovely. I am so honored to be invited to the wedding.

I've never been to Vancouver. I want to go.

Problem being: Flights are long and expensive, and if the BF comes with me (I wouldn't go without him) I will want to buy his plane ticket (zero chance of this happening) and pay for the rental car and several nights in a hotel. A long weekend will cost, as a rough estimate, $1600 and 4 days for the two of us.

The additional problem is that I have 5 vacation days this year. I need to take at least one to attend my 10-year HS reunion (which I'm helping to plan) and another 3 between Christmas and New Year's. How much vacation time can I spend going to this wedding?

I've never been to Vancouver and I want to go.

I fully expect this couple to attend my wedding, if/when that might happen. If they didn't come I would throw a fit. I think the world of these people.

I have never traveled somewhere and come home wishing I hadn't gone.

3 comments:

RanaElizabeth said...

Okay, let me get this out of the way first. Are you fucking nuts? Helping to plan your (hah...I almost typed OUR) 10-year HS reunion? What is wrong with you? But seriously, can I be your date? Screw David, and bring me!

Vancouver is supposedly awesome. If you don't get to go to the wedding due to vacation days/money constraints, let me know. We can fly out next summer when surely, you'll have more time to take off. Natalie can come down from Calgary and we can party like it's 1999.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blondie said...

Vancouver is a good time. Although its becoming a bit LA North- Paris Hilton-clones with tiny doggies, Starbuckses and junkies galore. But its a great city full of fantastic eating and shopping establishments.

Regardless, I'd still drive the 12 hours to hang out with you for even a few minutes anytime. Let me know what you decide.